Friday, February 1, 2013

Versaille Chalk Paint Before and After

I just finished the sofa table this afternoon and I called Heather and told her she was not going to get it back.
I am keeping it!

OK, well not really but I am loving how it turned out.

Whenever I use a new paint color I will try it out on another smaller piece just to see how I like it and to see what kind of wax finish will be used.

I tested it on a piano bench that I had and that will be heading to the store tomorrow.

What a bummer it would be to finish a large piece and then realize you just don't like the color.

So this is the before photo of the sofa table.
Was not terrible by any means, but it was just a little too perfect and modern looking.
It looked manufactured and run of the mill.
 It made by the Bombay Company so there are about 7 million of the same thing out there.

Heather has to Golden Retrievers and Martha is checking it out.
She smells betrayal.
See the "look" I am getting from her? She is thinking, give me a cookie and I will forgive you.
I cleaned it with Dirt X to get the extra oils off of it. Pretty impressed with how well this stuff works. It stinks to high heaven, but it works.

It then received a 2 coats of Versailles Annie Sloan Chalk Paint which has a greenish/yellow hue to it.

Sanded it down with a fine grit sanding block to smooth out the brush strokes and to distress the edges.
A lot of people will not sand before they wax, I personally am not a fan of that look and it really chews up my sanding blocks to sand after waxing.

For the wax I mixed half clear wax and half dark wax. It makes the application much smoother and not quite so dark.
The candle sticks above are painted in Olive with dark wax.
Delivering it tomorrow.

Maybe.


Before....


and after.
 
Until next time,
 
Krista

1 comment:

“Do what makes you happy, be with who makes you smile, laugh as much as you breathe, and love as long as you live.” ― Rachel Ann Nunes