Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Painted Maple Cabinet with Annie Sloan Paint and Wax

From Each Day....
I finally finished my other projects and was able to start on the maple cabinet I bought on Craigslist.  This is the cabinet I found down in Hendersonville on an old dairy farm. Picked it up for $50.00, a very good deal if I do say so myself! The cabinet on the left is an old buffet I picked up this weekend at Goodwill, that is a whole nother project all together.
Martha is supervising the project. Doesn't she look sporty in her pink booties?  Trying to keep her from scratching and licking is a full time job. Drives me crazy, but I digress, back to the task at hand.
Annie Sloan paint is very different from any other paint I have ever used. In fact it breaks all the rules of regular painting. You use very little paint, almost like dry painting and you use the cheapest brushes you can find. You know the chip brushes you find at the hardware store for a $1.00 each? Use those. There does not seem to be one set direction that you brush either, just get it covered.
This is one of the drawers after paint, before distressing and wax.  The color I chose was Graphite. As I was painting I was a little bummed at how light the color was (the photo is making it even lighter) but I still did not have the dark wax on it yet.

Top of the cabinet and it looks a little darker than the previous photo.
The paint I used. This is a quart can and I ended up using a little less than a 1/3 of the can. I also bought the Annie Sloan dark wax and a bottle of the lacquer. The one thing about the Annie Sloan is that I could not use the paint and then use a  different brand, the formulas will not play well with each other.
After the entire cabinet was painted I took my sanding block and distressed the edges fairly lightly, I did not want to distress it too much.
The top drawer is just the paint, bottom drawer is after the distressing and wax. I hesitated on using this photo because the way the light hits the wax in the photo makes the finish look gray and hazy and is not an accurate representation of the finish. The finish actually turns black.
Sophia helped me add the wax to the surface and I was glad to have the help.

Notice the super cheap brush, it was pretty much nearing the end of its life. "Oh, Martha quit licking your paws!"  See what I mean, constantly having to fuss at her.
Here it is painted and waxed, it does need a coat of lacquer but I want to wait until the pollen is out of the air before I tackle that.

Very excited that I was able to use the same hardware, that does not happen very often.
Finally a place to display some of the plates that I have.

The color plays well with the Ubatuba granite in the kitchen.



The finish is a lot like a piece of Scandinavian furniture. It has a lot of depth, not at all like the dresser that I did for Carter's room.

I really enjoyed working with this paint and am really looking forward to attacking the piece I just bought at Goodwill, thinking it will look great in red?


Even my son who HATES Goodwill asked to go today so he can find a piece of furniture to refinish and sell.

This is what it looked like in the beginning. A real 60's looking piece of furniture. Didn't do much for me.......

Until the next time!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh! This is beautiful. I love how it turned out. I've heard of this paint but had never seen it used. The wax lends a smooth finish and the piece has so much more depth. When I first saw it in blue, I wasn't impressed. But the end result - it's just wow! (And perfect for displaying those gorgeous plates). Bravo ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista, I admire your energy and proficiency in transforming these pieces. Your Mom and Suki stopped by this afternoon in the first sun we've had for a loooong time. We sat on the deck and Elly and Suki played and then Elly got to go off leash to run around the yard with Suki, the nanny, staying close and keeping Elly with her.

    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really think it's time for you to start a little business for yourself Krista. You have a real talent there. The cabinet is stunning! Did you teach yourself to do this work or did you learn from someone else? I really admire your work!

    Does Martha have allergies? Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love how this turned out! I have a very similar hutch and have been trying to decide what color to paint it... now I'm tempted to do graphite. Your photos were awesome, showing the depth of the paint very well. And I love that wood plate with the turquoise toll painting.Excellent job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie sloan laquer is not supposed to be used over her wax... I just did this and am trying to see how much damage I've done!

    ReplyDelete

“Do what makes you happy, be with who makes you smile, laugh as much as you breathe, and love as long as you live.” ― Rachel Ann Nunes