Saturday, April 7, 2012

Goodwill Chair meet Anie Sloan's Old Ocher

My five dollar Goodwill chair.  It's original plan was for Sam to paint it and to try and sell it on Craigslist. I was itching for something to paint so I decided to put a coat of Old Ocher on it and use it as my new desk chair.

My support staff here, crack crew that I have.

This is two coats of the paint. This thing seemed to take forever with all of the "round" parts. After I painted it I used my very fine sanding sanding block to sand the edges... I also smoothed some rough spots.

I liked the white but it was too "Shabby Chic" and white, even though it really is a creamy color, it just would not go in my home.

Because the chair was originally brown and I scuffed the edges the brown looks so pretty coming through the white.

In my mind I knew what I wanted and the minute I put the dark wax on the leg I knew it was wrong. Well Crap!  I considered painting over it because you can do that with AS paint but I chose to stare at it for about 10 minutes and decided the heck with it I am just going to do the whole thing with the dark wax.

And I ended up really liking it.  I put the dark wax on and then took a terry cloth rag and rubbed the crap out if it.  Buffed it, rubbed it, sawed that rag back and forth  to really get the dark and the white to show through.




While I was working on the chair Sophia made the never ending double batch of chocolate chip cookies for Sam to take to Hillsville, VA

The dark was really gave it a pretty patina.




Even mistakes with Annie Sloan paint aren't really mistakes after all.

3 comments:

  1. You're doing a great job on the furniture. I haven't seen AS paint in Dalton, so I'm going to make my own from a recipe I saw online. Add 2 tbsp. unsanded grout to 1 cup of paint. I haven't decided what to use for dark wax though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy most places will ship it. I know the Pink House will ship. It really is worth the shipping.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That came out great. No, I didn't like it in the white either. You are making me want to paint something. Darn it!

    ReplyDelete

“Do what makes you happy, be with who makes you smile, laugh as much as you breathe, and love as long as you live.” ― Rachel Ann Nunes