Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Baby it's COLD outside





A rare shot of my middle child.
From Each Day....
Just a picture... kind of liked it.

From Each Day....
We all remember the scene ... Scarlett O'Hara, impoverished from siege of the Northern army during the Civil War needs to impress Rhett Butler so she makes a dress out the green velvet curtains from her beloved Tara. Carol Burnett's  portrayal of Scarlett  is still a classic.

From Each Day....
How many people can go to a Smithsonian museum in Washington DC and see items that were actually worn by your ancestors? It was exciting to me so be able to say to our children "Your great, great, great uncle John Singleton Mosby, AKA Grey Ghost, wore these items during the Civil War. I am simplifying this immensely but you get the idea.  Our last son is also named after him. Kind of cool!  My husband being the Mosby can spew all kinds of history regarding  the Colonel, I am just starting to recognize him by face.

From Each Day....
The portrait chair. My daughter commented that they always look so grumpy. If you had to sit completely still for 15 minutes to have your picture taken you'd be pretty grumpy too. If we still had to do that I would have no pictures of my kids, just big blurs.
From Each Day....
The Ruby Red Slippers from the Wizard of Oz.
     Dorothy wore the red slippers to protect her form the Wicked Witch of the West
     In L. Frank Baum's original novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Dorothy wore silver shoes.  The movie's creators changed them from silver to ruby to take advantage of the chromatic possibilities of the new Technicolor film process.
     It is speculated that there were seven pair of shoes made for the production, four can be accounted for. Thes shoes were sold at auction  sold for $15,000 (the pair now on permanent exhibition in the Popular Culture wing; The American History Museum; The Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C..).
     In May 24, 2000 another pair sold at auction for $666,000!
From Each Day....
Kermit the Frog factoids:
     Kermit was born in 1955
     First appeared on Sesame Street on November 10, 1969
     Kermit's best friend is Fozzy Bear
     Kermit is the author of   Before You Leap: a frog's eye view of life's greatest lessons
     If Kermit had been walking around DC with us on sunday he would have needed one of these!






From Each Day....
After leaving the museum to go out into the freezing tundra, and let me tell you it was COLD. The wind was blowing like stink and this guy is out playing the "drums" like it was no big deal. People were dancing and my youngest was very intrigued.
Finally got her to wear a hat. 
This is a picture of Carter on the train, he thought he was big stuff because he could stand up by himselfpretending that he was "commuting" on his own.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for becoming a follower of my blog. I am honored - truly. I enjoyed reading this post. I even clicked over to read about the Grey Ghost. My family is connected to Robert E. Lee. (I always bragged about that when I was a kid.) You have a beautiful family. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were in my neck of the woods!

    My kids love that museum - I haven't been in a long time, need to remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How in the world did you take such great pictures in those dark museums through the glass???

    Very cool...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh your daughters eyes are so beautiful! such cute kids! We took our granddaughter to see the ruby slippers because she was such a fan of the Wizard of Oz! He 5th BD party was all about the show and everyone came dressed as a character from the show. She of course was Dorthy! I loved going to the museums! Need to get get back there again real soon! That is so cool about your heritage! I HAVE HATS made! we need to get in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos of a lovely yet cold day! The ruby slippers was a great shot. Also those gorgeous kids! It is 9 degrees here today! Keep warm.
    Love Di

    ReplyDelete
  6. I either remember Grey Ghost from history class or a movie, but I know the name!

    The picture of Carter touched my mothering instinct...I could see one of my own grandsons in that stance and faraway look he has. The hat really accents your daughter's eyes and boys the age of your middle child, do sometimes hide from the camera(another grandson). You have a lovely family Krista!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some wonderful photos here.. particularly your son and his reflection and the red shoe. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

“Do what makes you happy, be with who makes you smile, laugh as much as you breathe, and love as long as you live.” ― Rachel Ann Nunes