Thursday, December 22, 2011

Homemade Laundry Soap

Follow Me on Pinterest
From December 14, 2011
OK, so I decided to make this  but was completely skeptical about just how well it would actually work. WOW, I am really impressed with just how great it is and how cheap it is to make. Very impressed.
The above picture is everything that I put into mine.

4 lb box of BORAX
4lb box of ARM & HAMMER BAKING SODA
3lb 7 oz. box of ARM & HAMMER WASHING SODA
3 bars of FELS-NAPTHA SOAP
2 containers of OXYGEN
1 container of PUREX fabric softener, the granules/pebbles  NOT LIQUID

From December 14, 2011
The FELS-NAPTHA SOAP needs to be shredded. I had a hand shredder but it seemed to take forever and then remembered that I had this cheese grater for Parmesan cheese. SO much faster and easier.
Grate all three bars.

From December 14, 2011
Dump all of the stuff in to a plastic bag, inside of a bucket (for support). I did this in my kitchen but I highly recommend doing it outside. It kicks up a ton of dust.
Make sure the plastic bag is sturdy, use 2 if needed. Pull it out of the bucket and slowly mix the contents by rolling the bag around. Make sure that it is well mixed.
From December 14, 2011
I recommend double bagging it because I did not and I sprung a hole in the corner of the bag.
From December 14, 2011

So I dumped it all in the bucket, creating more dust that made it's way up my nose.
 Hey, at least is smelled good.
From December 14, 2011

I then stored it in the largest glass container I could find so it would look pretty. I found this one at AC MOORE. It was $25.95 but I had a 50% off coupon, so I got it for $12.50, thank you very much!
But first I did some glass etching. I have been looking for an excuse to try this this stuff.
From December 14, 2011

From December 14, 2011


$12.50 at AC MOORE  ... SCORE!
From December 14, 2011


I dragged out my Cricut...have I ever told you just how much I love this thing!
AWESOME!
I cut the letters out of contact paper.   Much cheaper than the "CRICUT" paper they sell.    Plus it allows you to try different things without feeling like your wasting a bunch of money.

From December 14, 2011



From December 14, 2011

I painted on the etching cream. The BOX says leave it on for 60 seconds....NOT SO, more like 10-15 minutes and you need to put it on thicker than shown below. I found this out after I attempted to read the bottle which, unfortunately, my arms are not long enough to read that small of print...the 40's are rearing its ugly head.
From December 14, 2011


This is after 2 minutes. I did some touching up to try and get it a little more consistent. What I learned is that I should have done it reverse of what I did. Does that make sense? Doing it this way was easier but doing it the other way would have had more impact.  The etching cream is not real strong and I put the laundry soap in the jar and the soap is white...the end result is you couldn't really see it. I know it is there. It makes me happy that I did it.

From December 14, 2011


From December 14, 2011

I use the scoop that was in the SUN oxygen container.  I use 1 scoop for each load of laundry. I figure it costs me about $15.00 to make this whole jar, and the big chunk of it was the fabric softener that you don't even have to use because that was $7.00.

I do a ton of laundry. Smelly laundry. Kids that wrestle bring home very smelly laundry.  I have been very pleased with it and I figure it will last me close to a year. It is about 20lb of laundry soap.
From December 14, 2011

Let me know if you make it and what you think!

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you posted all of rhe details. I'm am going to try to find this again after the holidays so that we can try making our own as well.

    Merry Christmas! Lana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I will try to make this too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished making this, but haven't tried it yet. Did you find that one scoop really was enough? And you said you thought it might last a year.... how far has it gotten you? Trying to determine if it really is cheaper than coupon shopping name brand laundry detergent..... Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am currently about 2/3 through the batch I made.
    And it is much cheaper that using name brand. WAY cheaper.
    I use a heavy scoop, I know I questioned it too.
    Let me know what you think once you use it.
    I go back and forth about it.
    Thanks for posting, and seriously let me know what you think once you use it.
    Krista
    Tried to email you this but your email was no-reply

    ReplyDelete

“Do what makes you happy, be with who makes you smile, laugh as much as you breathe, and love as long as you live.” ― Rachel Ann Nunes