Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Little Step Stool vs Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Florence

 My Goodwill find from Sunday.
Don't you just love it when you find something that you absolutely had to have. You have needed it your entire life and never even realized it.
OK, bit of an exaggeration but for $3.50?
Yes I had to get it.
 He is a solid stool in really good condition,
I had Sam remove the rubber pads because they were ugly and make it difficult to paint.
Wiped him down with a damp rag.
No sanding.
No priming.
Applied 2 coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Florence.
Love this color, it is just fun.
But then there are not many of ASCP colors that I don't like.
In fact, haven't met a color I don't like yet. They all have their place.
 Covered him in two coats of paint and let it dry.
That is another thing about this paint, it dries fast. I don't have to wait 24hours blah blah blah....
I am impatient, I hate waiting for paint to dry. I want to get on with it. Keep the process going so I can get to the end result.
So he dried and then I used a fine grit sand paper over him.
I did use a heavier hand on the edges because he use to be gold and I wanted the gold accent to come through.
 I used dark wax all over.
I like how the dark wax gives him such an aged look, like he has been around a long time.
 Some people thing it makes it look dirty and I will admit these photos make it look harsher that it really is.
But I do love the gold edges peaking through.
 He is just tall enough to help Carter put the dishes away.
Carter had been using a very tall stool and I had visions of him falling into the dishwasher while reaching above it to put dishes away.
Makes me a nervous wreck watching him.
And we don't want him to stop emptying the dishwasher.
 
 Kind of amazing how the dark wax changes the color of Florence.
Gives it an aged patina like old copper.
 I did a mirror the other day in Florence and used clear wax, I will need to post pictures of it soon so you can see the huge difference in the types of wax.









Hope you like it.
I think its kinda cool.

9 comments:

  1. I love it. Like I have said so many times, I never find gems like this at Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a find, it looks great. Amazing what some paint can do to things, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness....I not only like it, I LOVE it! So the gold pinstripe around the edge, is that the gold from the original paint, or did you draw that on there. How do you get the gold to show through from the original finish. Do you use steel wool? It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy shnikeys!! I love it. I also love it more that you purchased it from the Goodwill...where I buy, like, everything (wardrobe, shoes, furniture, you name it!).

    Stopping by from SSS where I linked up as number 52, 61 and 66.

    Blessings from Oklahoma City,
    Meredith from thepolkadotshoes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It came out beautiful Krista! I really liked how the gold showed through and honestly it looks one hundred times better then the original! I would love having a stool like that for my grandson Jack to use. Great job!
    Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful job, Krista! I've worked with Florence and the dark wax and love the results, it's really cool with the gold shining through!!

    ReplyDelete

“Do what makes you happy, be with who makes you smile, laugh as much as you breathe, and love as long as you live.” ― Rachel Ann Nunes