Thursday, April 24, 2014

Aaahhh, The joys of a root canal!

Wonderful. Pleasant. Enjoyable.
All adjectives that do not describe the wonders of a root canal.


I am a chicken when it comes to anything dental.
The word dental work and dentist (sorry Dr. Shannon Butler) I associate with torture.  If I were ever captured and held hostage, threatened with dental work to make me talk I would sing like a canary. Disclaimer: Dr. Butler is not my dentist.

Shots for a root canal in the palate....OUCH!
No, I am not okay.  THAT HURT!

But don't you just love it when you are laid back with 3 different tools in your mouth and they ask you "Are you doing okay?"
Ummm...uhhhuihhh?
I should have memorized Morse Code like the Jeremiah Denton when he was a POW and blinked T-O-R-T-U-R-E.
Ya, that would have come in handy.

Oh and then when the hygienist and the doctor and talking back and forth and you are dying to interject....
Being that I could not say anything I am saying it now.

NO it is not okay that your 36 year old brother in law is still living with his parents. He should move out. His parents should kick him out. WHAT are they THINKING.

Dentist"You doing okay?
Me: Uh,  i ckanot beath.
Dentist:You're doing great.


Threatening your 9 year old daughter that if she does not start behaving you are not going to let her have a birthday party? REALLY.
I am strict, but that is just mean.

Dentist: Do you need suctioning?
Me:  Blinking my eyes frantically
Dentist: Don't want to water-board you here. Are you doing okay?
Me: Smile. At least I think I smiled. It may have come across as a sneer but both with work.

Having the dentist describing the dental conference and new burs coming out and having your engineer husband describe it as a nerd fest. I have an engineer for a husband too! They have a lot of nerve describing a dental convention and nerdy...pot/kettle. Honestly.

Dentist: We are going to clean this out, drill this, cram something in your tooth. It is going to smell funny but that is just all the gunk. Of course this is not what she said but that is what I am hearing.
Me:  Smile/Sneer
Dentist: You doing okay?

I am looking forward to hitting the land of Lewis Carol and ignoring the pain that has entered my mouth. But then again it was not nearly as bad as when I was out of the chair and met the receptionist and she handed my bill.
Torture I tell you . Torture.

“I wonder if I've been changed in the night. Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!” 
― Lewis CarrollAlice in Wonderland







3 comments:

  1. This was quite an experience for you. But I’m glad you still went through with it, despite the anxiety you have with visiting the dentist. It’s common for everyone, but once you get used to your dentist, it will become more comfortable. So what did the dentist say about your teeth?

    James DeFinnis @ Back Mountain Dental

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so interesting to read this post. My 6 years old son fear by name of our family dentist Torrance. However, I understand that he needs quick treatment. Please help me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very much inspired when I've visited your blog. Your blog is really informative. Hope you will continue with new article.
    Dental Veneers Brampton

    ReplyDelete

“Do what makes you happy, be with who makes you smile, laugh as much as you breathe, and love as long as you live.” ― Rachel Ann Nunes